I’ve been sick for a couple of years. It stated not long after I got my partial denture. Then I started getting sores in my mouth and on my tongue. My dentist couldn’t figure out what was going on. Eventually, I just had my doctor run every test possible. It turns out I’m allergic to a lot of metals. Could the metal in the partial denture be what is making me sick?
I’m continually perplexed and frustrated by dentists who don’t understand the seriousness of metal allergies. There should be a standard question on the medical history form about metal sensitivities. Some patients can even have trouble breathing. If you’ve got a metal allergy, then yes, that partial denture is making you sick.
We are a mercury-free practice, but have had patients come in with a mouth full of mercury fillings which they suspect are making them sick.
We are careful to do a sanitary amalgam removal process. When they come in for their next appointment we ask if they’ve felt a difference. Almost always they have had an ailment that disappeared after they get rid of the silver fillings. One particular patient had her arthritis disappear. Most just felt like they felt better overall.
There are metal-free options for you to get as a tooth replacement. You don’t have to have a removable denture either. Often you can have a zirconia bridge to replace the tooth. This is completely metal free. The only downside is you will be required to crown your adjacent teeth.
If those teeth are healthy, you might be better off with a dental implant. These are made from titanium. It’s very rare for someone to have an allergy to this particular metal. Titanium is very biocompatible and has been used for decades in both hip replacements as well as implants.
However, because you’ve already been diagnosed with some metal allergies, you might want to get checked just in case. If you are allergic, there are zirconia implants as well.
This blog is brought to you by Auburn, AL Dentist Dr. Raymond Bolt.