Are you looking for affordable options to restore a chipped tooth? A chipped tooth detracts from your smile and from the health of your tooth. How can you get your tooth restored affordably?
A Porcelain Veneer or Crown Might Not Be Required
Most people think that a chipped tooth needs to be hidden with a porcelain veneer or a dental crown. What’s the process for those treatments?
- Porcelain veneer – A veneer covers the front of your tooth. It requires shaving some of your tooth enamel so the veneer fits well and looks natural. Pictures and impressions of your teeth will be sent to a lab, and a custom veneer will be made.
- Dental crown – Your tooth needs to be shaved down for the crown to fit over it. The crown covers your entire tooth from the gumline to the biting surface. Impressions and pictures of your teeth will be sent to a dental lab. The lab will make a precisely fitting crown for your tooth.
But a crown or veneer might not be necessary. There is a more affordable option for repairing a chipped tooth.
Dental Bonding Is Affordable
Your tooth can be restored with direct bonding. How does it work?
- Shades of dental composite are blended to match the shade of your natural tooth.
- Your dentist will lightly etch your chipped tooth to prepare it for the composite.
- The composite will be applied, shaped, hardened, and polished to a natural gloss.
- Depending on how well you take care of it, bonding can last four to eight years.
What’s the Difference with the Treatments?
Veneers are made of durable porcelain, which mimics the translucency, color, and gloss of natural teeth. It takes more time to place a veneer, and the custom-made materials are more costly. Veneers are stain resistant and can last a lifetime. Bonding stains over time and needs to removed and replaced.
A dental crown is also made of porcelain. After taking impressions of your tooth, a custom crown is made by a laboratory technician. Unlike dental composite that is only applied to the affected areas of a tooth, a crown covers the entire tooth.
Affordable, but Beautiful Results
Although dental bonding is more affordable than a porcelain veneer or crown, a skilled dentist can give you great results. People won’t be able to tell that your tooth was chipped.
You can schedule consultations with two different dentists to discuss your options, the cost, and how treatment can be made affordable for you.
This post is sponsored by Auburn, AL dentist Dr. Raymond Bolt of Dental Care at Flint’s Crossing.